Rugs are a delight to any home. They make bland rooms comfortable, plus they keep our feet warm during winter. You might be thinking how challenging it is to fit a rug in a tiny house considering the limited space. Get it right and you’ll instantly transform any regular house into your own private sanctuary.
Picking Out the Perfect Rug For Your Tiny Home
Downsizing to a tiny house doesn’t mean your interior design choices should be toned down too. In fact, one of the easiest ways to go big with designing a small space is by throwing in a stylish rug or two.
Here are a few ways you can use rugs to add a little flair to your tiny home:
- Use different textures to provide a distinction between rooms. Most tiny homes don’t use walls or doors to separate rooms from each other. With different rugs, you can create a non-intrusive visual separation between the kitchen and the living room.
- Layer various styles to add a major depth to the room. It’s good to start with a neutral-colored base then top it off with a textured rug for more pizzazz.
- Go for softer materials so the room can be cozy and breathable at the same time. Choose the best rug texture for your living environment. Plush wool rugs can keep your feet warm against the cold floorboards and concrete, while textured and heavy rugs can be more suffocating than comfortable during summer.
- Play around with patterns like stripes and geometric shapes. Patterns create depth and act as a great focal point in any room. Strategically placed stripes can make a room seem bigger. Horizontal stripes emphasize the width while vertical stripes make the room look longer, so choose your stripes accordingly.
- Fill empty spaces with rugs that blend well with furniture pieces. In any home, there will always be that awkward floor area you don’t know what to do with. Place a neutral colored rug or a bold one to add a pop of color to your home. Just make sure whatever rug you pick will go well with the furniture or overall vibe of the room.
7 Affordable Rugs That Are Worth Every Penny
The best rugs don’t have to be expensive. It’s only a matter of picking the right pattern or size you’re going to use at home.
With that, we’ve rounded up seven awesome (and affordable) rugs that are great additions to any tiny home:
Want to try layering rugs? This sleek rug from nuLOOM can be the perfect base for your next interior design project. The neutral color can blend seamlessly into whatever eye-catching rug you’re planning to put over it.
What makes this rug unique is that it is made from 100% sustainable seagrass. This textile is the right pick for anyone who’s looking for an eco-friendly interior design piece.
This geometric-patterned rug can easily be the centerpiece of any room. It adds a vibrant pop of yellow to a modern-themed tiny home. There are also other colors to choose from including blue, red, and gray.
The stain-resistant polypropylene material makes it easy to clean. Just vacuum it regularly and blot any stain as soon as it drops. For the best space utilization, set this rug in the middle of the living room, with the furniture legs right at its edge.
This bright fuchsia-colored rug is a great choice if you’re looking for a splash of color. It is designed with traditional Persian styles that elevate any room, or even outside if you have a patio.
This rug may be made from 100% Polypropylene fibers but the texture is smooth under the feet. The material also makes the rug shed-free, stain-resistant, and fade resistant. Cleaning this rug also won’t be a problem because small stains can be removed through blotting.
This affordable shag rug adds comfort and texture to the cold floor without being overbearing. It’s perfect for places that have high foot traffic. Just be sure to secure them in place by putting them under pieces of furniture. That way, you won’t need to worry about the rug getting dragged into the wrong places. You can also use a rug matt to keep the rug from moving.
Placing this rug under the bed can also help differentiate the bedroom from other living spaces. Set this fluffy textile on the bedroom and lay a simpler one on the living area’s floor to provide a bit of distinction between the two places.
This simple patterned rug provides elegance to any room without being overwhelming. The Moroccan-inspired design and neutral color adapt well to any theme, whether it’s casual, modern, glam, or transitional. It would look great in the living room or even the kitchen.
Safavieh’s 2-inch rug can also provide a soft feeling for your feet, which is the perfect cozy touch in a small space. To avoid a cluttered feel in the living room, place the mini sofa at the edge of this rug.
Although this rug is outdoor-friendly, setting it in the middle of your living room can lend the indoors some wow factor. Maximize your living room better by using a little eye trick. Place the rug horizontally so the living space looks wider than it is.
This particular rug is created from stain-resistant nylon, making it easy to clean to with water and mild detergent. The material is also known to be durable and resilient, so this rug is something you can use for a long time.
Why settle for a bland and boring rug when there’s an inexpensive vibrant one available? This Tribal Marisela rug from nuLOOM looks a lot more expensive than its actual price. The eye-catching Turkish rug can turn the drab floor into a work of art in a matter of seconds.
This carpet is made with polypropylene that's vacuum and dry cleaning-friendly. It’s also made with some jute so you know it’s definitely going to last through the seasons.
Hey, there! We're Ivan and Manuela from Croatia, and we're crazy about tiny houses. We don't own one (yet).
This website is a result of our passion to share all the knowledge, photos, tips and tricks that we were able to learn while studying everything possible about the tiny house movement.